Skip to main content

India

Tony pulled India from the jar and I am ecstatic! However, I'm not going to do my regular recipes of curry...besides we've still got nearly 177 countries to go and I suspect many of them will include curry.  Instead I'm looking for inspiration from Indian's celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
The menu:
Gobhi Matar
Egg Bhaji
Mango Lassi
Naan

I was not going to kill myself by preparing all of them--only three :) I could spend months making Naan and it wouldn't taste as good as I'd like so I bought garlic Naan from Trader Joes.  (It's actually incredible and it takes less than 3 minutes to heat up).

Mango Lassi Rating: 7 out of 10
Wasn't sweet enough nor yogurt-y enough.  However, for a light refreshing treat, I'd make it again.

Gobhi Matar Rating: 6 out of 10
The dish lacked a little flavor.  (However, I absolutely love the last minute dash of garam masala) Additionally, Tony hates peas so he brought the average rating for this down considerably.

Egg Bhaji Rating: 9 out of 10
Heidi --"Wow you rated this a 9?"
Tony --"Yeah. The first bite was like POW in my mouth."
This dish was excellent.  A fantastic vegetarian meal in itself. This will be repeated again and again in my kitchen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micronesia

Micronesia is a federation of small islands that includes Guam, Wake Island, Marshall Island and a few others. There doesn't appear to be a distinctly "Micronesian Cuisine" but there are some notable dishes from the individual islands. I chose Chicken Kelaguen which comes to us from Guam.  The dish is found anywhere you can find Guamanians, they love it and I do too. To be classified as "authentic" one must make the finadene marinade and BBQ the chicken after it has marinated overnight. (Some sources say to use a store bought rotisserie chicken and recommended Costco.--Yeah, I love that chicken too, but last time I checked, there were no Costcos in Micronesia.) Finadene 1 cup soy sauce 1 cup lemon juice 1 bunch of green onions (chopped) 5 hot red peppers (I used dried peppers) Chicken Kelaguen Naan bread (lightly grilled) 1 whole chicken 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 coconut 1 bunch green onions (chopped) 5 hot red peppers (chopped) salt and peppe...

Pakistan

Middle-Eastern food makes me happy.  The play on savory/sweet makes my tongue tingle and belly smile. Tonight is Pakistan. I know. We've been gone for a while. Okay. A very very long while. However, we had a kid and were learning how to live with another human being in the house. We think we have the hang of it now so we decided to re-start the recipe project. Tony relinquished the job of picking a country from the jar in favor of baby M. She picked Pakistan and I decided to make Chicken Chapli Kababs. It was delicious. The Middle-Eastern version of turkey burgers, but better. And, with chicken. I loosely followed the recipe here. Baby M, Tony and I loved it. Heidi's Rating: 7 out of 10. Delicious. Tony's Rating: 7 out of 10. Yum.

Equatorial Guinea

 (Yeah, I didn't know it was a country either) The dish tonight = chicken with peanut butter sauce and boiled plantains. If you're looking for a non-traditional/non-American carb, grab a plantain. They pack a punch.  They're deceptively starchy and bland. However, if you're hungry and you're in need of carbohydrate replenishment, they're amazing.  They're also pretty good as a side dish to a chicken peanut butter stew. The dish tonight was interesting. The relationship between peanut butter, tomatoes and oregano was incredible. It was a beautiful polygamous marriage that actually worked. Rating: 7 out of 10 [Note to self: Do not overestimate the power of a habeƱero. Even though this is the devil pepper the entire thing is warranted in this recipe. Leave some out and you'll regret it.]